The church of Agios Nikolaos, located in Splantzia Square, was built before 1320, during the Venetian period, as a monastery of the Dominican Order. After the Turkish occupation in 1645, the church was converted into a mosque and was given the name Hiougkar Tzamisi (the Emperor’s mosque), honoring the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Imbraim.
IThe sword of the Turk dervish, who was the first one to enter the city, was kept in the mosque and was considered to be blessed and wondrous. Its importance is highlighted by the existence of two- instead of one- balconies on the minaret on the southwest corner of the temple. The architectural elements of the minaret are of great interest, as they follow the Venetian tradition.
Municipal Unit: Chania
Address: Splantzia Square