The Egyptian Lighthouse, which is one of the oldest lighthouses in the world, prevails in the old harbor of Chania. The sea-tossed stone lighthouse which stands at the edge of the breakwater is not only the “guard” of the old Venetian harbor, but it is also the most photographed landmark of the Prefecture.
The lighthouse was constructed by the Venetians during the end of the 16th century. It was reconstructed by the Egyptians during the period 1830-40, when the British Empire had assigned Crete to the regent of Egypt, Mehmet Ali. At the end of the Ottoman era, the project had been completed with the addition of the ladder on its east side, as well as pipes, through which the sea water passes under the surface of its base. The lighthouse measures 21meters in height from sea, surfaces 26m² and its headlight reaches a distance of 7 nautical miles. Its base is octagonal, the middle part has 16 angles, while the top part is circular.