The Koules fortress is located 12km east of Chania near the Paleokastro region, pretty near to the Kalami village and on the relics of ancient Aptera.
The fortress was built by the Turks after the Cretan revolution in 1866, during the effort to control Crete again through a net of fortification works. It was built by Hüseyin Avni Paşa and is a representative sample of fortress architecture of 19th century. The purpose of its location was to control the Apokoronas valley where it used to be the passage to Chania. Along with the other Koule fortresses, the Turks built it so they could control the Souda port as well as to suport the Ingedin fortress.
The Koules of Aptera or Subashi fortress is preserved until today in a great condition. It owns two towers, one looking out to the west ( as to control the Keramia passage) and one looking out to the east ( towards Kalyves).The former was used to communicate with the Souda fortress and the latter with the koules of Kalyves and Nio Chorio.
The fortress was the biggest fortification establishment of its period. The architectural volumes expanded symmetrically in a Π shape that created a rectangular yard. The circular towers are on the southwest and southeast corner of the fortress, while the central gate is located at the east side, well protected by a recess.
The soldiers used to get to the battlements of the Koules chamber through interior wooden stairs. The fortress was equipped with all the necessary barracks spaces, lodging infrastructure, warehouses, prison cells, kitchen and dining room. Excellent engineering has preserved the fortress in a very good condition up to this day.
This specific fortress was used as a school for the Megala Chorafia village, following the Turkish retreat from Crete