CENTER OF MEDITERRANEAN ARCHITECTURE
Reinventing old uses in a spectacular way.
The Grand Arsenal is the last of the 17 Neoria to the west. Its construction started in 1585 by the Intendant Alvise Grimani. A new era began for the Grand Arsenal with the addition of the second floor, in 1872, during the Ottoman era. The building hosted several, important public services and authorities. From a roofless, abandoned site, today the building has given a second chance to life by being converted into a remarkable multipurpose space for events and expositions. After its restoration in 2002, it is now the Center of Mediterranean Architecture, hosting important cultural events, scientific and political symposiums, artistic exhibitions, international venues with special emphasis on architecture.