ST NICKOLAS – CHANIA OLD CITY
The church of St Nickolas, located East of Splantzia Square at the Old Town of Chania, was built before 1320, during the Venetian Period, as a monastery of the Dominican Order. During the Venetian period it was the most important church of the city.
It was elegant and big in capacity, with wide arches in the interior. After the Turkish occupation, the temple was turned into mosque and was named Hiougkar Tzamisi (mosque of the Emperor), in honor of the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Imbraim.
Its importance is highlighted by the existence of two- instead of one- balconies on the minaret. In 1928, after being seized by the Christian Orthodox people, the mosque was turned into a Christian church and has been dedicated to St Nickolas.
Municipal Unit: Chania (Splantzia Square)
Working hours: Every day
Entrance: Free (with appropriate clothes)
Tel.: +30 28210 52229